Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tuesday, 10/16/07

Spent most of the day trying to get back into my daily groove (rut?) after returning from an art fair in Springfield (MO) this past weekend.

This afternoon I did a little cleaning up out in the garden. I cut down and removed the dried corn stalks and tossed them on the brush pile out behind the garden. We'd decided to save the dried out ears of corn that remained on the stalks for the squirrels. Evidently, the squirrels got wind of our plan and decided to go ahead and help themselves. This morning I saw a squirrel carrying an ear of corn across the yard. When I got out to the garden this afternoon, I noticed several bare corn cobs laying around the garden. And, when I started removing the stalks, I found no ears of corn that still had any corn left on them. They'd been shucked and eaten on the stalks. Nothing except a bare cob remained.

I really don't have a problem with the squirrels salvaging the corn we didn't get eaten, but now that the corn is gone and the squirrels have identified the garden as a source of food, I certainly hope that they don't move on to our remaining tomatoes.
Share/Bookmark

0 comments: