Thursday, April 24, 2008

Banded Hickory Borer


Just Hanging Around With A Friend


Banded Hickory Borer (Knulliana cincta cincta)

Longhorned Beetle (Cerambycidae)

Range: Northeastern US, and southward and westward to Texas and Oklahoma.

Food: Larvae feed on dead and seasoned branches and limbs of hardwood species, including oak and hickory.

Life Cycle: Eggs are laid in crevices in the bark, or directly into the wood. Larvae feed the first season beneath the bark, then head deeper into the wood.

Thanks to Phillip Harpootlian at BugGuide for the ID.






Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

imac said...

Well captured.

Visit and see my Sky Watch also the Goat Man.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Now that is some serious anteanna.

Lana Gramlich said...

That photo is hysterical! I love the little hanger-on!

Tom said...

Bugs are something I have tended to look away from in the past, but you and your posts as awakened something in me now. I do not know how Jane will cope when come back with goodness knows what from the field at the back of the house...
I know one this.. our best white table cloth as now got another use.. ha!..

Joking apart, you have opened my eyes to stuff like this... and for that Marvin I thank you.
Tom