Friday, May 06, 2011

Male Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris)



Because Jo and I know the limitations of our Point-and-Shoot camera with its wide angle lens, we don't usually even try to photograph birds except during winter when we use a shelf feeder on the window sill to entice the birds within a foot or two of the camera. However, today we had a very special visitor that demanded we try taking a few photos. A male Painted Bunting fed under our feeder several times throughout the day. He is a new entry for our yard bird list.


For species details (and much better photos) please see Cornell Labs.

.
Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Sherry said...

What a beauty!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I would faint if one of these showed up at our feeder. What a beautiful bird. You are lucky indeed.

TexWisGirl said...

they're spectacular, aren't they? i finally saw a pair return to our place this week as well.

Kay Baughman said...

My heart beats faster anytime I see these beauties! I will never tire if watching them.
I always enjoy your posts and tweets!
Kay

Unknown said...

Such a colorful little bird!

MyMaracas said...

I'm so glad you grabbed your camera! I've never seen even a picture of one of these. It's gorgeous.

Deb said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! Lucky you!!

So glad you (Jo) got the shot. :-)

Rebecca said...

I can't imagine how excited I would be to see a Painted Bunting! My oldest daughter saw one last summer during a field biology class, but I have yet to be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of one. Congrats to you!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Beautiful! This species has not (yet) visited my yard, but I can hope!

Kay Baughman said...

Congratulations on the new yard bird! It's impossible to take a bad photo of this lovely guy.
Kay